Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Disney of Yesteryear Part Two: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride





Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in Florida was one of the Magic Kingdom's opening day attractions on October 1, 1971. Although it was modeled after the Disneyland attraction, it had some unique characteristics that set it apart from its California counterpart. The most obvious was that the Florida incarnation had two separate boarding areas. The vehicles (in the form of jalopies) in each boarding area were on separate tracks that followed different paths, so riders would get a slightly different ride, depending on where they boarded. I was fortunate in that I did get to ride both.

It was not a thrill ride, but it was not slow and quiet like most dark rides. It made sudden turns and often the vehicle would move at full speed towards an obstacle, which would move out of the way at the last second.
At one point the vehicles on different tracks would head directly towards each other, giving the sense of an oncoming collision. It was a very stylized attraction and resembled a cartoon more than any other Disney ride. It contained highly ornate plywood characters and sets that were very reminiscent of the multiplane camerawork featured in many Disney films. It was FUN, hilarity, and Toad was he** on wheels! I can recall how it felt to me as a 12 year old, and I shrieked at every turn. The devil I found particularly frightening, but in a good, Disney kind of scary. I loved it!

Despite the ride's popularity and many protests, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride closed on September 7, 1998 and was subsequently replaced with The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Many have disputed the reason for Toad's departure, but some including Save Mr. Toad's Wild Ride believe that money was the deciding factor. While minor tributes to the ride can be found in Disney World, including paintings of Mr. Toad and Moley within The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and a statue of Toad in a pet cemetery outside of Haunted Mansion, traces of "The Wind in the Willows" characters within Walt Disney World are minimal. Efforts have already been made to reconstruct the ride, including a 3D virtual recreation that I love! CLICK HERE FOR VIRTUAL TOAD!

After you are done playing with the Virtual Toad, check out this video:


Now don't get me wrong- I love going on Winnie the Pooh and have nothing against that ride, but I have often been saddened that they could not keep Mr. Toad intact and add Pooh elsewhere.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was the only attraction in history to entice riders with the prospect of donning the persona of a crazed amphibian. That alone deserves respect.

4 comments:

ExplosionZ said...

I loved Mr Toad. I agree, it should not have been removed.

Carrie Castmember said...

I wish that I would have rode that when I was there in 96 but I was scared and didn't ride much.. But I think that I would have loved it.. Sounds like it was alot of fun

mickeysangel49 said...

I don't think I ever rode this ride either, but from the hue & cry when it closed, it must have been fun!

kjmsnow said...

I don't think I ever rode the ride but I agree with mickeysangel49 and I wish I had.